View Single Post
Old February 20 2013, 04:41 PM   #187
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Re: COUNTDOWN TO DARKNESS 5-page preview

Here's a link to a very interesting and well-researched report on canon in "Star Trek", focusing on how it developed, "ownership" of it once it took off, and Roddenberry's interpretation and control over it. It's a bit of a long read, but it's the most thorough presentation of the topic I've ever found. Just two quick quotes about Roddenberry and canon or "Star Trek facts."

First:
In 1991, Richard Arnold was asked if all of TOS was actually canon, since the questioner had heard it was just the first two seasons. Arnold responded: "There are some things we just can't explain, especially when it comes from the third season. So, _yes_, third season is canon up to the point of contradiction, or where it's just so bad...you know, we kind of cringe when people ask us, "well, what happened in 'Plato's Stepchildren,' and 'And the Children Shall Lead,' and 'Spock's Brain,' and so on--it's like, please, he wasn't even producing it at that point. But, generally, it's the original series, not really the animated, the first movie to a certain extent, the rest of the films in certain aspects but not in all...I know that it's very difficult to understand. It literally is point by point. I sometimes do not know how he's going to answer a question when I go into his office, I really do not always know, and--and I know it better probably than anybody, what it is that Gene likes and doesn't like."
Second:

According to Paula Block of Viacom Consumer Products: "Another thing that makes canon a little confusing. Gene R. himself had a habit of decanonizing things. He didn't like the way the animated series turned out, so he proclaimed that it was NOT CANON. He also didn't like a lot of the movies. So he didn't much consider them canon either. And--okay, I'm really going to scare you with this one--after he got TNG going, he...well...he sort of decided that some of the Original Series wasn't canon either. I had a discussion with him once, where I cited a couple things that were very clearly canon in the Original Series, and he told me he didn't think that way anymore, and that he now thought of TNG as canon wherever there was conflict between the two. He admitted it was revisionist thinking, but so be it."
Here's the link to the entire report. It was written before ST09 but includes ENT.

http://www.canonwars.com/STCanon.html#III-A