View Single Post
Old February 20 2013, 07:24 AM   #14
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Re: Trek Year: To Boldly Watch Every Episode in One Year

JirinPanthosa wrote:
Wait, you're thinking of starting with ENT?
No he started with TOS on Jan 1.

JirinPanthosa wrote:
No, no, no, no, no. TOS, TNG, and DS9 are the only choices to start with. ENT is something you watch only after you love the franchise.
ENT is one of the more maligned series and if someone stays away from it because of poor word of mouth on the net (not accusing you of anything) for example they might miss out on something they really enjoy, some people out there find Voyager or Enterprise to be their favorite series.

JirinPanthosa wrote:
Yeah, ENT happens chronologically first but a huge deal of it is references to things established in other series. Do NOT start with ENT.
The first couple of seasons have very vague references to continuity that are so minor only I'd pick up on them. Season 3 was caught up in it's own arc for the most part, season 4 had a lot of continuity and references to later shows but I bet somebody could enjoy those episodes without seeing any of the earlier series.

JirinPanthosa wrote:
Although I would encourage watching the individual series chronologically rather than just cherry picking, except maybe skipping some of TNG S1.

If I were to advise someone totally new to Trek who wanted to get into it I'd say, start with Q Who then just watch TNG from the start of season 3. Then when they get to the end of TNG, go to TOS and DS9.
A show like TOS or TNG doesn't have to be viewed in a strict chronological order cherry picking is fine as long as the viewer doesn't end up in the middle of a story arc which won't happen with either of those shows, which is not a bad thing since that's how Star Trek became so popular in reruns as arc based shows tend not to do as well in rerun syndication.

Last edited by Leroy; February 20 2013 at 06:47 PM.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote