View Single Post
Old February 19 2013, 09:07 PM   #1103
mos6507
Captain

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

There definitely is an artistry to compiled scores. I mean, one need only look at 2001, for instance. Just because something was written for one purpose doesn't mean it can't work equally well if not better in another context. Even though it was done as a cost-cutting measure, it doesn't mean it can't be very effective. I was rewatching the drinking scene in "By Any Other Name" and that is chocked full of tracked music. Some of the way the music was slotted in was a little abrupt, but it certainly works beautifully, and it's one of the signature TOS moments. I doubt anybody who watches the episode is going to be thinking "Gee, that music doesn't seem to match what's going on. It must be tracked. How cheap!" Even if you recognize the piece and where it comes from, it doesn't mean you can't also appreciate how it slots into the different frame. This topic resonates for me because I'm currently not using a film scorer for my shorts, so I have to use compiled music, and I can tell you that there is a lot of thought that goes into it, at least if you want to do it _well_.