View Single Post
Old February 19 2013, 05:23 AM   #33
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

Danny99 wrote: View Post
So Smith's choice is be a backup in San Francisco, hoping Kapernick has a brutal stretch or gets injured or go flounder somewhere else? Wow, choices!
Smith's going to get himself a nice payday once he gets cut prior to his roster bonus vesting. As I said in the regular season thread:

I give Smith all the credit in the world for soldiering on, and he's made some improvements in his game, but even if he didn't have the whole "seven offensive coordinators in seven years" thing hanging over him, it wouldn't change the fact that he's basically only capable of a limited number of throws from about 15 yards in. It's easy to say that Smith has been having a phenomenal season, numbers-wise, but that's traditional numbers based upon having a running game, run-blocking offensive line (Oh, God, imagine Cutler behind that line), and coaching staff that's superior to everyone else in a passing-oriented league. His advanced numbers only take some of that context out and they drop him into the average to slightly above average (12th in DYAR, 20th in WPA, 15th in PFF player grade, and so on). Using some common sense for team context drops him even further.

I do wonder what he'd be if he hadn't suffered that shoulder injury.
Smith's going to get a decent contract this spring. It just won't be this contract, because no team in the league wants to touch that backloaded monstrosity.