View Single Post
Old February 19 2013, 04:59 AM   #10
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Re: A problem with Captain Janeway

The Overlord wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post
She was just a force of nature. Not sure how much of that had to do with her being a woman. Some people are just like that...
I don't buy that the former Maquis members would have fallen in love with her instantly. Sure the regular Star Fleet officers would bound by oath to serve her, but the Maquis do have no reason to like or respect her at first. Heck even some of the Star Fleet crew might have secretly blamed her for their situation and been passive aggressive towards her, if they were not written to love Janeway instantly. Plus when Dr. Crusher would relive Picard for medical reasons, Picard would usually defer to her authority, when the Doctor tried the same thing, Janeway threatened to delete his program. That made her seem like a control freak.

Plus the Voyager crew came off as a cult in certain episodes, instead of being a professional crew who just respected her. It didn't ring true, at all.

Also I don't find Archer a well written captain either, so comparisons to him are not particularly compelling.
IMO...

The Maquis didn't fall in love with Janeway immediately. Belanna resented having to toe the line behind Joe Carey and didn't "fall" for Janeway until the Captain started giving her a lot of 1 on 1 interaction where she demonstrated her respect for Torres' skills and intellect.

The "Maquis", in the person of Seska in season 1 and Hogan/Jonas in season 2 were not in love by any way, shape or form, with Janeway.

As for the EMH and Janeway, in season 2 the Captain actually did bow to the Doctor's orders to go to the holodeck and blow off steam because she was obviously burning out. (Persistance of Vision) What she did NOT do, is let the Doctor put her on enforced leave when the entire crew of voyager consisted of 6 people and 1 hologram. When Voyager didn't even have a first officer or a pilot on board, the tactical officer was blind and there wasn't an option to call starbase 12 for replacements.

Janeway was difficult for PTB to get a handle upon, and I assume it was because she was a woman. Mulgrew herself said she went to TPTB in season 2 and told them to just write her as a Captain and let Mulgrew worry about "the woman", which they finally did.

As far as how Star Trek Captains and crews are written... let me remind people about a little film called First Contact, where Picard ignored the advice of his Tactical Officer and his Physician and looked like he was going to run off a cliff... and like the lemmings they are his crew went to follow him until a 21st century woman said "THIS IS STUPID!."

WORF: Wait! Captain, our weapons are useless. We must activate the autodestruct sequence and use the escape pods to evacuate the ship.
PICARD: No!
CRUSHER: Jean-Luc, if we destroy the ship we destroy the Borg.
PICARD: We're going to stay and fight.
WORF: Sir, we have lost the Enterprise. We should not sacrifice...
PICARD: We have not lost the Enterprise, Mister Worf. We are not going to lose the Enterprise. Not to the Borg. Not while I'm in command. You have your orders.
WORF: I must object to this course of action.
PICARD: Your objection is noted.
WORF: With all due respect, sir, ...I believe you are allowing your personal experience with the Borg to influence your judgement.
PICARD: You're afraid. You want to destroy the ship and run away. You coward.
CRUSHER (OC): Jean-Luc...
WORF: If you were any other man I would kill you where you stand.
PICARD: Get off my bridge.
LILY: So what do we do now?
CRUSHER: Carry out his orders. Dyson. Kaplan. Start working on a way to modify the weapons systems.
LILY: Wait a minute! This is stupid. If we can get off this ship and blow it up, let's do it.
CRUSHER: Once the Captain has made up his mind the discussion is over.
(Lily goes after Picard)

As Janeway would say... "A Starship is not a democracy."

Last edited by JanewayRulz!; February 19 2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Proofread? What's that? ;-)
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote