View Single Post
Old February 18 2013, 10:31 PM   #56
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG: Dark Mirror by Diane Duane Review Thread (Spoilers!)

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Okay then - if something is that different, just put it in an alternate universe (not alternate timeline). That should be enough.
I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be. Unless you mean a real life Alternate Universe story?, which is the same thing Christopher is suggesting - a slightly different interpretation of the Trekverse with no in-universe connection to the other.
Look at it this way: An alternate universe is a physical location. Matter vibrates at different frequencies, quantum fluxes in the cellular RNA, or whatever the hell it is. Think of the DC multiverse, for example. Read "Crisis on Infinite Earths."

An alternate timeline, OTOH, is more like an idea. The same universe can contain different alternate timelines - "Yesterday's Enterprise", for example. It was switched from one timeline, to another, and back again, all of this in one universe.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote