View Single Post
Old February 18 2013, 03:50 PM   #182
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: My "Just Saw Insurrection For the First Time" Review.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

On point 1, the Federation apparently could not collect the radiation without rendering the planet uninhabitable. If they could find a way to collect it without killing the Ba'ku, that might be acceptable. But they certainly couldn't go through with the So'na plan, since that would kill 600 innocent people on the planet.
They can and should've went through with the plan. The Ba'ku needed to be moved in order for the Federation to collect a resource in Federation space.
Stuff orbitally locked to a planet (such as the metaphasic rings) should be considered part of that planet, rather than the space around it--at least if we're talking about what the Federation can screw around with. Imagine the Ba'ku launched a satellite into orbit of the planet. Would that satellite then belong to the Federation, since it's in "Federation space"? This strikes me as hairsplitting. The rings belong to the planet. They are effectively part of the planet. The Federation has no business touching them without permission.

On point 2, it seems that the Federation routinely protected pre-warp planets within its territory. Once a planet met the criteria for first contact, that would open up the opportunity to discuss the planet's future relationship with the Federation. I suspect if a given species told the Federation to get fucked, the Feds would withdraw from that system and respect their wishes. If the planet was later attacked by a hostile force and asked for help, the Federation would probably come to their rescue.
I can guarantee that if the Federation caught wind of a Romulan invasion that was going to cut through Malcorian (First Contact) space, they would make a stand there if it made sense regardless of what the Malcorians think. See Errand of Mercy.
Of course. But that's just as much for the sake of the Malcorians as the rest of the Federation. The Romulans are known hostiles.

Basically, the Federation is supposed to be the "good guys."
Ideally yes. But the good guys are still wise to pay attention to logic, common sense and extraordinary circumstance. If the Prime Directive was a hard and fast rule, it wouldn't have forty-seven subsections. We wouldn't have the Omega Directive.
It's still hard to justify forcibly relocating people so that the Federation can extract a resource that doesn't really belong to them. If the planet was totally uninhabited, then the Feds could do whatever they wanted with the rings. The whole idea behind surreptitiously relocating the Ba'ku is so they can't object to having their planet destroyed--by the time they would've realized what happened, it would be too late. Pretty shady for the supposed "good guys."

Now for the record (something I've stated before), I don't think Meta-phasic radiation is a game changer for the Federation. My reasons for moving the Ba'ku are more about the long-term survival of the Ba'ku and the likelyhood Starfleet would become involved in a protracted conflict over control of the Briar Patch at some point in the future.
The Federation really has no business deciding what's in the best interests of the Ba'ku. They aren't Federation citizens.

If the Federation simply withdrew from the Briar Patch and told the Ba'ku "you're on your own," that would at least be a consistent, defensible strategy. "We're kicking you off your planet so we can take your stuff" is not.