View Single Post
Old February 17 2013, 03:19 AM   #15
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: A Good Day to Die Hard (aka DH5): Grade, Review, Discuss---SPOILER

My ranking for the series would look like this now.
  1. Die Hard
  2. DH3
  3. DH4
  4. DH2
  5. DH5

I think the biggest problem is the choice of how they chose to go about making the uranium the mcguffin of the film. The bad guys are essentially two guys who used to work at Chernobyl, skimmed some weapons grade U235 and stored it away secretly with one key to the vault. Both went different paths. Stealing money is one thing and the other villains were fun to hate for doing so. You don't really find any empathy or sympathy with a guy whose going to sell uranium to some terrorists who will kill millions.

The switcheroo for the audience and some characters was that there never was a FILE containing critical political intel. File was code for KEY. They finally spell it out of course with about 10min left in the film.

John McClane at first is fighting for his son. It's not till after the hotel ballroom sequence when Jack(with rebar in his side) explains what the "file" contains that John gets fired up to stop some bad guys and his character comes back to life and is enjoyable to watch for the next 2/3 of the film.

The action is great and yeah the plot has issues but then again so did Skyfall and people ate that shit up (I did, but it's a structurally flawed film) while still praising it. The plot in that film is just asinine but worth seeing as well cause you like the protagonist and the action is well done.
Last I looked it's Cinemascore was a B+ and had a low 80's audience score at RT so overall audiences are liking it, it's just not performing based on Fox's projections. Going to fall at least $10m short it looks like. So pure WOM isn't keeping people away.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote