View Single Post
Old February 16 2013, 11:53 PM   #31
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: MLP:FiM S3E12 - "Magical Mystery Cure" Grading & Discussion

I posted this at BK, but I figure it works here, too. Plus, why type it all out again when it's just what I'm going to say anyway?

When I sit down to watch the show, I expect nothing. All I plan on doing is watching the episode, and savoring the time I have with my ponies. Every new episode is a new adventure. Now, are there episodes I like less? Sure, just as there are episodes I could watch over and over again. That comes down to taste, but the show itself is innocent, lacks heavy cynicism, and allows that friendship is truly a powerful force in that universe. I can be hard and cynical when I want, but I don't want it. I eschew the need to be pessimistic, because pessimism leads nowhere, and it sours what may be a delightful experience.

Of course, it all comes down to an old axiom that says, "to thine own self be true". A classic take on "to each their own", as it were. This will definitely be a love/hate episode. I just don't want the hard work of the studio, the actors, the creative minds who had to make this all happen in a pleasing way, I don't want that hard work to be lost or forgotten, and sometimes I feel like there are fans who demand things their way. Well, it won't always be like that, and while I understand the desire to keep Twilight Sparkle as a unicorn (I adore her as a unicorn), her becoming an Alicorn does not change who she is inside, which is a lesson of the show, that no matter what changes outside, and what circumstances create around us, deep down inside we are still the very same people, the same personalities, the same thoughts and feelings by which others have fallen in love.

That's nothing against people who hate the episode. They have the right to do so. Everyone is different and looks for different things. I just want the drama to stay low key. No needless proclamations that the fandom is dying, or that anyone who likes/hates the episode isn't a "real" Brony (an absurd statement if there ever was one). Be different, be happy that you're different, celebrate those differences, so that we can celebrate the things we have in common.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote