View Single Post
Old February 16 2013, 06:57 PM   #328
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Re: More Star Wars films announced

tighr wrote: View Post
I've always felt it wasn't entirely a coincidence that the protagonist is "Luke" and the creator's last name is "Lucas".
Possible, but you have to remember in very original draft of SW, Luke Skywalker wasn't the the hero protagonist, but rather the Obi-Wan figure.

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
As Jar Jar proved, Lucas can be about as subtle as a baseball bat to the kneecaps. I wouldn't be surprised if that were indeed the true origin of the Luke name.
But Jar Jar was originally more like Chewbacca in that he wasn't a comedic slapstick character and more of a helpful alien sidekick for the heroes. I think it was only in the final draft that he was transformed into a caricature.

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
The Ryder Windham novelization of Anakin's / Vader's life aimed at a younger audience (The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader) implies that Obi-Wan was taunting Vader aboard the Death Star by not calling him either "Anakin" or "Vader" during their battle. Vader's thoughts during the course of the fight are that his former Master was trying to irritate and confuse him by not properly using his Sith title.
That line of reasoning I think came from the Death Star novel by Michael Reaves.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote