Through the years, I have read all of the TOS comics printed since TVH came out. Of those, DC Comics volume 2 has always held a special place for me. It felt like a comic book equivalent of the TV series for the 3rd set of missions and seemed to cover all of the major developments that took place between TFF/TUC, such as Sulu getting his own command and Valeris coming on board. Also, my favorite character, Saavik, was brought on as a regular during these stories giving her a spot as the 10th main TOS character (12th if you count Arex and M'Ress. (I know she was in volume 1, but she felt more "official" in Volume 2 because volume 1 had such a large cast)
Also back in those days I read a handful of the early novels. The ones that stuck with me were the ones that took place between TMP/ TWOK. They had a similar feel to DC Vol.2 in that they filled in for the 2nd 5YM and subsequent gap and also hit major moments like the origin of Saavik (Pandora Principle) and the end of the 2nd 5YM (Deep Domain). Other than these I also read Diane Duane's first 2 Rihannsu novels and Doctors Orders.
So between the TV series depicting the 1st 5YM, the novels depicting the 2nd and the comics the 3rd it felt like a good set of adventures. Also it felt natural that each mission would have familiar faces (the big 7) but would also have differences (Duane's characters for the 2nd and DC's Saavik and Tooch for the 3rd). If the TOS had been brought back it would have probably had cast changes along the way.
So after about 20 years away from the novels I thought it would probably be fun to do an TOS marathon. But before I start I wanted to have it figured out ahead of time.
For the first 5YM I would include
1. The TOS And TAS shows
2. D.C. Fontana's Vulcan Glory and Enterprise Experiment (IDW).
For the 2nd 5YM and Pre-TWOK Era I would use
1. Ex Machina (which I haven't read but have heard is incredible) for the first adventure,
2. Diane Duane's Novels
3. A.C.Crispin's novels
4. Howard Weinstein's Deep Domain for the final mission along with the Covenant of the Crown and the Better Man.
5. Pandora's Principle as Saavik's origin and M.W.Bonanno's Unspoken Truth follow-up.
For the 3rd set of missions I would use
1. DC Comics Volume 2 and all of its associated annuals, specials, graphic novels and Modalla Imperative.
Also I would use any other TOS stories written by major writers because they would probably not contradict their other works but add to them. These would include
1. Howard Weinstein's Official Record
2. Peter David's The Rift.
3. A.C. Crispin's Sarek and its sequel Enter the Wolves (Wildstorm)
4. Mere Anarchy (Weinstein and Bennett connected)
5. Bennett's As Others See Us
6. Bonanno's Dwellers in the Crucible, Strangers in the Sky and Music of the Spheres
7. Stories by DC Comics Vol.2 that happen at other points of time.
So what does everyone think, would this create any major continuity problems both internally and taken with the later shows ? (TNG, DS9, etc.) Does Saavik's story stay consistent. Would there be any other problems I'm not thinking of?
Also, of the L.A.Graf novels in the 2nd 5YM I have only read Kobayashi Maru. Can this and the others be used without creating problems. How about Home is the Hunter and Enemy Unseen? Any other suggestions?
So I look forward to your inputs and to reexploring TOS. With the TOS/TAS AND DC Vol.2 you get the feeling of a series for their respective set of missions. I would love to get that serial/ series feel for the 2nd 5YM through a careful collection of Novels to represent those stories and missions.
Thanks again and have fun,