View Single Post
Old February 14 2013, 09:55 PM   #43
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Re: Futureproofing (for viewing) the next Trek TV series

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
I dont see 4k happening, and 4k tv may never become [practical even though it's technically possible (and the equipment exists to show it). I would think futureproffing would amount to a consistent and backed up cgi library as well as it being filmed in 2k.
RAMA let's look a little into the future rather than just the next couple of years. CBS will want to be able to sell the next Trek TV series for years to come. By futureproofing it with the future trends in technology.
news in January 2013:
The Japanese government plans to launch commercial broadcasting in 4K resolution in mid-2014 and start test broadcasting in 8K resolution sometimes in 2016.
January 2013...
Japanese Government to Launch 4K UHDTV Broadcasting in 2014.
For Japanese viewers, that future could start in July 2014 according to the Asahi newspaper, in time for the final match of the 2014 football World Cup which is set to take place in Brazil.
According to Futuresource Consulting, Broadcasters and Pay TV operators are already trialling the technology due to the need to continue innovation and maintain competitiveness. TV Globo in Brazil are very proactive in evaluating 4K thanks to the 2016 Olympics and Futuresource Consulting quoted DirecTV, Sky, Comcast, Canal + and SES Astra as all looking at the technology. In fact, a few operators are expected to launch 4K channels in 2014.
source
I can see 4k broadcasts in digital cinemas in North America of the 2014 world cup soccer. Soccer fans will pay $ for this. A daily ticket or perhaps a ticket for the week to see it in 4k.

Actually rather an interesting mention as other than Netflix, Amazon Instant Streaming, and Hulu Plus trying 4K by 2015 I can see DirectTV or Dish Satellite in North American having 4K broadcasts. If they make a deal with CBS for content we may see the next Trek series broadcast in 4k in 2017 via satellite dish subscription under a premium 4k channel subscription. I don't see cable TV moving to 4k anytime in the next 5 years but satellite TV maybe in North America.

For Trek since medium and high level feature films are being mastered in 4k already now I would think in 4-5 years that a Trek TV series would be shot and mastered in 4k looking down the road.
4K is not some magical better resolution. At TV sizes people have at home and the distance they sit from the TV 1080 is already at or past the maximum resolution a human eye can see. The only reason 4k may make sense for theaters is because the screen is larger. Fast forwarding 10 years doesn't change the human eye, and fans going to a theater is more about the communal experience than a magical 4k improved quality.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote