View Single Post
Old February 14 2013, 08:41 PM   #43
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Earth based Trek show

dansigal wrote: View Post
My general point was more that Star Trek is now something bigger than its name, it's a universe with infinite ways stories can be told in it, and not just travel among the stars. It's perfectly legit to say that a Star Trek series based on Earth is something you personally wouldn't be interested in, but its silly to say that its not Star Trek or wouldn't be worthy of Star Trek if it was based on Earth. I personally would be very interested to watch Star Trek: Office of the President, as a political and cultural exploration of how something so massively diverse as the Federation operates.
But it is silly and can only serve to piss off a portion of your audience with the bait-and-switch tactic. Part of Trek's problem was it went to far away from its base concept. I think many folks tuned out of DS9 when they found out they were going to be in one place instead of exploring week-to-week and never came back to the franchise.

Alien Empire HQ'd on Earth as a weekly sci-fi series, I'd probably watch. Star Trek: Office of the President, I wouldn't even give it a second thought and neither would most of the general viewers out there.

Why tie yourself down to seven hundred episodes of continuity and expectations when you can start fresh with a concept?