Space exploration game

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ronald Held, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I am looking to play one that does not involve combat, I have STO for that. I would prefer just exploring systems, meeting aliens, etc. Anything like that available for current Windows systems. Of course the more trek like the better.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find such a game that doesn't even have combat, but there do exist some where combat is generally optional. The X series allows you to play without getting involved in combat. Space Rangers is another.

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

The X series also allows you to play without getting involved in fun.

4. Robert Maxwell

:lol: If you really want a space sim devoid of fun, check out the Battlecruiser/Universal Combat series. :p

5. Ronald Held

Which x series games? Space rangers is still available?

6. Robert Maxwell

Well, X3: Reunion is the one I have. I haven't played that far into it, but others have told me you can avoid getting involved with combat if you want.

You can buy Space Rangers 2: Reboot on Impulse. I got my copy on Steam, apparently before distribution was moved to Impulse. You can also find it here.

7. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not quite what you're looking for, but Kerbal Space Program is a purely peaceful space exploration game. It doesn't have FTL or multiple star systems yet, although the devs have indicated a desire to include those features eventually. Right now it's about exploring a single solar system using mostly realistic physics, and the next update is due to include mining and basic colonisation features.

8. Ronald Held

Kerbal is not what I want as well as Orbiter. If the interface on Noctis were better, I might try it. Combat optional might work.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Isn't that a torture simulator? :lol:

10. Ronald Held

No other suggestions? Or maybe maybe games which have mods for exploration?

11. Robert Maxwell

See if you can get your hands on Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos and then install the Torn Stars mod for it.

12. smiki

smiki Captain Captain

Not exactly what you're looking for but...

Celestia (3D astronomy program)? Universe Sandbox (interactive space gravity simulator)? Star Trek: A Final Unity (an old Star Trek point and click adventure, has plenty of meeting new species, exploring scenery, plays very much like a Trek episode except better-not limited by makeup/prosthetics etc...)? If you're considering Noctis then maybe Bridge Commander with Kobayashi Maru (you can play it without combat, just flying around scanning stuff)? Uhm... Spore (lots of new aliens to look at)? Err... Mass Effect?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  13. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I had never heard of this one, but thank you, I found the reviews very entertaining!

14. Ronald Held

comments on Celestia or space engine

15. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Control II (The Ur-Quan Masters). Though not technically devoid of combat, fights are usually easy enough to avoid except for a few critical assignments, unless of course you get chased down by those goddamn slylandro probes that keep trying to eat you no matter what you say to them. Of course, tracking down the Slylandro and complaining to them about their omnicidal space probes is an interesting task on its own.

Also, if you have a gamesave of Mass Effect 2 from any point after the Suicide Mission; almost all of the combat missions are done at that point, so there's nothing much to do BUT explore.

16. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I absolutely loved Starflight while I was growing up. It had combat, but it was more in the style of the 60's Star Trek; your primary mission was exploration and to stop a galactic threat, but you would run into other ships in the void and have to deal with them. You could often work things out diplomatically and not even have to fight; but there were races who wouldn't even talk to you (though I do remember getting the Uhlek to talk to me one time - it was just one brief statement like "Prepare to die" or something and then they cut it off).

I haven't tried any of the other games mentioned, but I would love to find something like Starflight again.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Robert Maxwell

The Starflight games are amazing. Loads of depth and a huge universe despite the primitive graphics and virtually nonexistent sound.