View Single Post
Old February 14 2013, 11:06 AM   #124
UFO
Captain

Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
The old Uhura had no personality, so you have filled in the blanks in your head and invented some personality traits for her. And now you're disappointed because the character you see on the big screen is not the character you had imagined.
You seem to be confusing lack of screen time with lack of personally, and rather conveniently at that. As Paul6 pointed out, she had her moments. Besides, my view is that the two Uhuras are very different and so far you seem in agreement with that position.

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
all you male dominant fan boys...answer an honest question for once.

Who was more deserving to serve on the Enterprise.

Uhura or Jim?
My view is that Jim shouldn't have been on any ship and Uhura should have been on the ship that needed her the most. Though I admit, I have no idea how such assignments are done in a navy, but the idea that the best cadets are automatically put on the best ships seems overly simplistic.

The Stig wrote: View Post
UFO wrote: View Post
For all Uhura knew, the ship she was assigned to may not have had a communications officer at all at that point and needed the best trainee available.
All the cadets stood and watched as the assignments were handed out. The film is fairly clear on the circumstances, so your supposition isn't really borne out by what we saw on screen.
I don't follow your argument. It seemed to me the ships probably had perhaps half or more of their crew members already assigned, at least the Enterprise appeared to. The cadets seemed like fill ins. Therefore how could any cadet know if their skills were in demand on any particular ship?

Spock was wrong. That's the only reasonable take-away from the scene in question. Uhura worked hard to get a posting on the Enterprise and didn't meekly accept a lesser posting when she knew that she deserved better. That's not a 'hissy-fit,' that's simply being assertive.
Even if Spock was wrong (and it apeared to me his concerns were well founded), Uhura wasn't to know that. Her sense of entitlement only works if there is some school yard type linear relationship between how good you are as a cadet (don't forget) and the quality of the ship you "should" be assigned to. Also: "Temporary assignment". Ie. not the end of the world. Let me rephrase that ... .

Uhura didn't make a scene, she didn't speak rudely or raise her voice. She asked Spock for a word and plead her case passionately. Compare with Kirk, who decided to simply attack Spock during an argument, and it's clear that your objections have far less to do with what Uhura did and far more with her gender.
I don't see how that could be clear since I have never been a fan of nuKirk and have said in the past he did little more than be persistent and lucky (and something of a jerk). But it is interesting you should describe nuUhura as "assertive". I would very much agree, because I have always viewed that word as an attempt to rebranded bad manners. In that scene you could cut Uhura's attitude with a knife. Sure it was controlled but that only made it come a cross as curt and disrespectful to a superior officer.
UFO is online now   Reply With Quote