View Single Post
Old February 13 2013, 05:55 PM   #131
Starkers
Admiral

Re: Charlie Brooker Black Mirror

I quite liked it, in particular the first half, thought it was a great performance by Atwell, but when it went from plausible near future to Blade Runner I felt it lost its way somewhat, which is a shame. That said the ending redeemed it somewhat for me, the notion of things being put in the attic nicely foreshadowed it, and I thought it was an interesting allegory for the life of a lot of modern fathers who are no longer with their wives; the kid only getting to see them at weekends and special occasions.

In a way I wish Brooker had cut out some of the sex scenes (not that I'm prudish I just didn't see much point apart from fake Ash being great in the sack when real Ash was a bit rubbish) and spent more time with the family unit. I mean, whilst the mother knows this person isn't Ash, from the daughter's perspective he's her dad, and is a fake representation of him better than just a few old photos? Like I say it would have been interesting to take that a little further.

I'm afraid The Entire history of You was my least favourite of the three, nice idea but done with such a lack of empathetic characters that frankly I didn't give a shit about any of them. The one with the PM and the pig was the worst idea of the three, but it was better, in my eyes, because I could at least feel some connection to the characters. So for me Downey's version sounds like it might be more fun to watch

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote