View Single Post
Old February 13 2013, 04:02 PM   #751
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
If anything Aquaman would need the "hardest" movie to overcome the damage Super Friends did to him.
Who the hell remembers the Super Friends? That was 30 years ago. In the meantime, the Justice League cartoon has come out, Justice League Unlimited, Batman: Brave and the Bold, Young Justice, Smallville.

Why does the Super Friends matter, except to a bunch of aging people? Who aren't the target audience?

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, etc. are NOT new characters in the same regards as other movie characters because these characters are decades old and general audiences are going to be scared by that. Thinking they'll have too much weight on them from the past that'll leave them lost and confused.
And speaking as a DC fan for decades, this is ridiculous. Most audiences won't give a rat's ass about the comic history, they didn't for Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Batman, or Spiderman. In fact, because Wonder Woman has been in the public consciousness for so long, it should be EASIER to introduce her... unlike, say, Green Lantern.

Audiences aren't concerned with what happened in issue 55 of Aquaman, they want to know what he can do, AND, more importantly, what is character like... is he funny, is he angry, what does he want... Period. This "weight of past" is genre fans thinking way to hard and not realizing, most of that "weight" is just stuff that isn't really important.
Yea, pretty much, if the general audience has a passing familiarity or none whatsoever, they don't care abut all the different versions of the character from the past, they care about this specific version in this specific movie they are watching

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote