View Single Post
Old February 13 2013, 02:56 PM   #19
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Red Dwarf 25th Anniversary Thread

The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post
I liked Series 10, but Series 1 and 2 are still my favourites, mostly because of the claustrophobic sitcom feel to them. Series 3 onwards changed the character balance and opened the premise out, and they are fundamentally just as good, if not better than the first two series, but they are also fundamentally different from the shows I first watched, which is why I like them a little less. But everything up to Series 6 is still comic genius.
Admittedly, I probably like the look of sesasons 1 and 2 the best. It feels real, or as real as a miles long mining starship with a crew that consists of a hologram and a man who evolved from cats can be. The set design and costumes have a realistic look to them.

Season 3 onward the sets have a more "sci-fi" look as do the costumes. Or, at the very least, Rimmer's outfits becomes more "spacey" compared to his uniform from S1 and S2.

I'm not looking forward to watching Series 7 and 8 again though.
Season 7 really isn't that bad, overall it's pretty decent. Season 8 has its moments, though, yeah it really doesn't feel like the same show very much at all.