The strange thing is that the war is being referenced in the movie several times
Hmh? I never heard a single reference.
- The word "war" is never used in the movie, anywhere.
- The word "Dominion" is only used three times. Two of these are in reference to past calamities, grouped together with the likes of the Borg or the Cardassians. One is in reference to negotiations, a likely postwar endeavor.
- The heroes never mention anybody engaging in combat, anywhere, at any point, other than themselves as regards the onscreen events.
Negotiations and gathering of allies are typical postwar activities, especially when there has been no clear-cut victory or defeat. "What You Leave Behind" ends on an especially ambiguous note, there being no hint as to what the conditions of the peace or truce might be, and no mention of the Dominion withdrawing from its conquests or making reparations. Solidifying one's positions would be extremely important in a war that ends with more than one victor.
There is almost nothing to suggest in the movie takes place following the Dominion War.
- the total absence of references to an ongoing war of any sort
- the plot concept that is at complete odds with an ongoing war against the Son'a or their allies
- the total absence of war effort from the lives of our heroes, amounting to desertion if a war really were ongoing...