View Single Post
Old February 13 2013, 08:00 AM   #173
jb1234
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Section 31 1/2 wrote: View Post
Just based upon the clips

Disc one sounds like general McCarthy. The Die is Cast could be Way of the Warrior almost note for note.
Both of which are taken from the Star Trek: Generations score. McCarthy was sometimes shameless when it came to reusing his music.

I'm a little curious about the Storyteller cues because the music is practically inaudible in the episode and there has to be a reason for that. As you pointed out, they tended to dial down the interesting stuff.

Disco two I must say I compared the clip of A Call to Arms to the actual scene it airs in and my god they really mixed down the music in the final edit. I would wager they reached a compromise with the composers during the DS9 and Voyager era, we'll allow more interesting music through (as compared to late TNG) but we'll just mix it down so it won't make a difference anyway.
Not only mixed down but it looks like the cue was tampered with. In the episode there's just one statement of the villain theme as the Defiant is fighting its way out whereas in that clip, there's two statements.

Disc 4 looks decent as well. The spy music sounds like fun and the fight music for Trials and Tribble-ations seems as if it suffered the same mixing down problems in the final episode. Is it me or did it seem there was a brief ode to some TOS style fight percussion at one point? I could be just imagining that.

Definately looks to be a far more interesting listen compared to the TNG set.
I'm not thrilled with what I heard of the finale score (which I haven't watched since it aired) but it just might be the samples chosen. Didn't remember at all that McCarthy reused the theme from "The Visitor" for the scene where Kasidy was talking to Prophet Ben.
jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote