View Single Post
Old February 13 2013, 04:37 AM   #14
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Philip Dick's Man in the High Castle coming to Syfy

Mistral wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
This looks right up my alley. I haven't read the novel, but I'm putting it on my "to read" list.
It's considered a classic. That said, and as an alt-hist reader, I found it "meh" at best. There are better stories out there.
If you read The Man in the High Castle as an alternate history, you're going to be disappointed because, as an alt-history, it's horrible. PKD wasn't an historian, he doesn't try to justify how his world got this way. It simply is.

What I get out of the book is character and mood. If you drop a group of people into the worst "present" you can imagine, what would they do? I think the book makes more sense as one of Dick's mainstream works, albeit one that's set in a North America that's divided between the Germans and the Japanese.

What I don't get out of the book is a satisfying plot. There are plots in the book, but most of them are not particularly exciting, and the titular plot (Juliana's trip to meet the "man in the high castle") has a dull conclusion. It's the plot that concerns me with a television adaptation.

And yet, I really do like the book and I've read it several times. It's not my favorite PKD, but it's in my top five.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote