View Single Post
Old February 13 2013, 03:13 AM   #117
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: My "Just Saw Insurrection For the First Time" Review.

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Did the Ba'ku really need to say they calimed the planet?
Yes, it certainly would have helped their position. Not that I think i would have made much difference in the end.

It's not clear if the Baku even thought of the planet as theirs.

They settled on it prior to the founding of the Federation.
And?

... seemingly non-warp culture ...
Which wasn't the case. The Baku might not have possessed a warp driven ship at the time of the movie. But they were a warp tech culture. How else could the Baku have forced the Sona off the planet? How else could they have migrated there from their "birth world?"

The situation is similair to an episode of TNG where Worf's adoptive brother ...
It is much more like the episode Ensigns of Command. Where a group of people settled on someone else's planet, and needed to be removed for their own safety.

In INS they want to move a group of people to get at something ...
Once again, it wasn't necessary to remove the Baku to harvest the rings. The Baku were to be remove so the harvesting process would not harm them. But their removal wasn't essential.

it was a humanitarian move.

It seems clear from the movie that the council wasn't told the full story ...
How so? What didn't the Council know that was relevant?

The Council already knew it was a Federation planet.

The Council already knew the Sona have the tech to preform the harvest.

The Council already knew the rings will provide health benefits to many billions.

The Council already knew a warp capable group of migrants were on the world.

The relationship between the Baku and the Sona is a side issue. The health benefits are still there, the planet is still a Federation planet.

Last edited by T'Girl; February 13 2013 at 03:23 AM.
T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote