View Single Post
Old February 13 2013, 01:52 AM   #47
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: TMP Director's Edition Coming To Blu-ray

This is getting kind of interesting. (in an arcane way for most, but even so ... )

Dykstra's operation was essentially a bluescreen one, and nearly all of his TMP ship stuff was shot against bluescreen ... BUT the opening shot of the three cruisers was not, because they couldn't get bluescreen behind the model for the full range of the move. They had to shoot it frontlight/backlight, which is how Trumbull shot nearly all of his stuff. The pics you linked to -- clearly the same angle as the opening TMP shot -- are against black, which is how I THINK you'd shoot the beauty pass when doing frontlight/backlight.

edit addon: I just checked and I don't have contact info for Dykstra or Roger Dorney, who was Apogee's optical guy. I do have an email for Doug Smith, who shot that opening w/ the klingons, but he has been at Rhythm & Hues, which if you folks know anything about the VFX industry, is the latest in the long line of sudden collapses (they failed to make their payroll last week, after three studios thought about bailing them out, but fought amongst themselves about whether it was better to keep them solvent or to let them crash and pick up the pieces.) The VFX industry is almost like retail in some ways (all the bad ways.) Anyway, I don't think he'd be in the mood to try to recollect on this, not this week anyway.

If I find I do have contact info for any other key Apogee folk (not all are still alive), I'll try to get some more info. Damn, am I now going to have to netflix the extras on TNG season 1?!
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote