View Single Post
Old February 13 2013, 01:29 AM   #744
Christopher
Writer

Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
I think just jumping into a Justice League movie is a huge mistake. Everyone knows Batman and Superman, but the others are all basically unknown.
I don't understand the assumption that lack of prior knowledge of the characters is a dealbreaker. Nobody knew who Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia were when Star Wars came out in 1977. Nobody knew who Marty McFly and Doc Brown were when Back to the Future came out. Thousands of movies over the decades have been built around characters the audience had never previously heard of, because they never existed before their movies came out. So where in the world does this bizarre notion come from that unfamiliar characters can't work in a movie?

And the fact that it's a team movie doesn't change anything. There have been plenty of successful movies that have been built around teams of entirely new characters, from The Seven Samurai to The Dirty Dozen to Ocean's Eleven to The Usual Suspects. Even in superhero movies, X-Men proved that you can begin a film series by introducing a team of characters who are mostly unknown to the mass moviegoing audience. There didn't have to be solo Wolverine, Rogue, Storm, Cyclops, and Professor X films before the team movie happened. Starting with the complete team has worked, and it can work again.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote