View Single Post
Old February 12 2013, 07:47 PM   #21
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Re: So I started with this show...

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
First I'm a big fan of RDM and his work on Trek.

And I liked the fact that this show has some deep themes.

But man, these shows... sucked!

I hated the camera work. Let's zoom in, not keep the camera steady, and zoom in some more at random intervals.
It was filmed in a documentary style, so the idea was that the camera operator had to scramble to find the frame and track the action because he didn't know what would happen next. I think it worked fairly well, particularly in the effects shots.

See, JJ did some similar "energetic" camera work on his Trek film, but at least his performers embued their roles with enough life to match the enegey of the camera. Two of the most reputed actors, Olmos and McDonnell, seem lifeless and stagnant, giving line readings that never change.
Well that's simply wrong. Olmos and Mcdonell gave shockingly raw performances that ran the entire gamut of human emotion. I can only assume that you didn't watch the show if that's your opinion on their performances.

I know he's the stoic captain, but when he checks up on Starbuck to see how she's making out fixing the raider, and when he announces that there's a potential threat on board, his tone is the same in both instances. Ther eis no difference. Every line he delivers is wooden and exactly the same.
Not so much, no. Off the top of my head, I'd point to the confession scene between Starbuck and Adama in 'You Can't Go Home Again' as a prime example of just how much EJO can do with his eyes.

I like Olmos but I think tha Scott Glenn would have been a better choice, because Glenn portrayed a similar style of captain in Hunt for Red October, yet the actor sis some subtle things in that performance that let us know there was a human behind the character even if the captain and his command style was deliberately dispassionate.
Scot Glen was good in 'Red October,' but I wouldn't put him in the same league as EJO.

Often five or six dramatic things will be brought up in two minutes of screen-time, then they will be all shelved for much later episodes.

THE CGI space scenes look like bad video games and lack the excitement and visceral energy of the old show.

Starbuck writing her name in duct tape on a raider so they'd recognize her... how ludicrous can you get?
The original show featured the same Viper with the same afterburner trail over and over and over again. At least nuBSG gave lip service to the concept of zero-g flight. As for Starbuck writing her name on the Raider, how else should she try to identify herself?

All we know is, he's called The Stig.