View Single Post
Old February 12 2013, 06:57 PM   #22
Rear Admiral
Re: Klingon augment virus/Into Darkness Klingons

The Stig wrote: View Post
There will be no 'smooth-headed' Klingons because the Enterprise episode arc that 'explained' the difference was stupid and pointless. Worf's joke in 'Trials and Tribble-ations' was explanation enough.

Even in Trek, where continuity is important in varying degrees to fans, some changes just gotta be accepted as we-did-it-because-we-could-finally-improve-production-values. I don't think we're actually owed detailed in-universe explanations for those things short of "it's a long story." Certainly not entire story arcs like in ENT. That's one step away from a series of stories proving how the TMP Enterprise is a refit of the TOS Enterprise, rather than just accepting that it's a completely different ship with the simple in-story explanation, "A refit. Oh. OK, I'll go along with that."

I've always liked two very simple in-universe explanations for the ridges.
-- The first doesn't explain the ridges, but says they were always there. However, some Klingons carry genes that are somehow triggered to occasionally produce a generation of smooth-headed Klingons among certain couples. It is a natural mutation, and occurs infrequently. The time of TOS was one of those times. The gene is dormant in most offspring, and they have ridged children.
-- The second says there were historically two races of Klingons, smooth-headed and ridged, but the smooth-headed Klingons were so small in number that interbreeding with ridged Klingons finally led to there being few if any totally smooth-headed Klingons left. By the 24th century, all Klingons have ridges of some sort.

Edited to add: These explanations don't explain the ridges on Koloth, Kang, and Kor in DS9, but those could be explained by cosmetic surgery (Klingon versions of tattoos) or a gene kicked in late in their lives because they came from smooth-headed stock. Or, they genetically enhanced themselves. Whatever. I guess I'm just saying the simplest explanations may work the best. They are the only three Klingons on screen whose contradictory appearances needed explaining, anyway.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. -- Mark Twain

Last edited by Franklin; February 12 2013 at 08:10 PM.
Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote