View Single Post
Old February 12 2013, 05:17 PM   #60
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

Re: The Pope

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post
Squiggy wrote: View Post
So, what do we call an ex-Pope? His Former Holiness? The German formerly known as Benedict?
Forgive me for I am about to sin the ultimate pun but...

Ex-Benedict.
The Inquisition was made to deal with puns like that.
Before becoming Pope, the Holy Father was Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which was previously known as the Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Roman and Universal Inquisition. Just pointing that out.

The Holy Father has a reputation as a brilliant church scholar, having had a long career as a highly regarded university theologian before being appointed Archbishop of Munich and Freising, Cardinal, and then Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. There is no better authority on the Catholic Church and Church history. I have no doubt the Holy Father weighed very carefully what was best for the Church. Pope John Paul II was very ill toward the end of his reign and the Church was left on almost autopilot, rudderless. As more details emerge, I suspect we'll find that the Holy Father wants to avoid this by having a transition of power now.

I'm very grateful to the Holy Father for bringing back the Tridentine Mass, which I consider a beautiful and important part of my children's heritage.

Warmest Wishes,
Whoa Nellie