View Single Post
Old February 12 2013, 08:50 AM   #242
UFO
Captain

Re: I hope for more traditional space battles

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Nero was certainly capable of hurting Kirk & Co. if, for example, he and his people were beamed aboard with explosive devices they then used to destroy Enterprise.
Nero had already refused the opportunity to implement such plans. What we talking about here is whether Kirk should have just gotten his butt out of Dodge, or waste time petulantly contributing his relatively impotent efforts to the inevitable demise of a defenceless foe. Neither choice is heroic, but I can't see how having Kirk commit a war crime was the way to go. That reminds me, where the hell was McCoy when they needed him? Stuffing round saving people's lives I suppose!

To be honest I have no idea what the writers thought they were trying to achieve with that scene, beyond a "confrontation with evil" or something.

On the other hand the use of the Genesis device to get Prime Kirk off a similar hook was really rather clever. And I just never appreciated that until I saw the ST09 version. I mean, all they needed to do was have the black hole gravity effect kick in fractionally after Nero's refusal.

So close and yet so far.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote