Thread: The Pope
View Single Post
Old February 11 2013, 05:51 PM   #20
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Re: The Pope

Squiggy wrote: View Post
lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
If there is to be a new pope, he or she should be one...
No need to be PC.

There will be a new pontiff.
He will be a he.

Accidental Haiku!
I wasn't "trying" to be PC. I was simply expressing my view that the role should be open to whomever best serves it, regardless of gender. I don't expect it to actually be a woman, at least not yet, but I do believe it should be a woman, eventually, and that there is no good reason for it not to be, ever.

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
The role of the church is not to please men, but to please God.
But it doesn't seem to actually do that, does it? In fact, the way the media portrays it, the Church seems to be more riddled with human failings than the rest of non-religious society at large. A lot of that may be schadenfreude - we enjoy tearing down those who set themselves up above us - but it certainly seems to me that the Church is mostly about holding onto its own power, the same as any large and powerful institution, and not about serving God in anything other than name and appearance.

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
I'm referring to "official public acceptance of the practice", not "well, it sort of winds up happening and then a slew of kids get molested and suffer trauma all their lives".
Well, that certainly seems to be coming dangerously close to accusing gay men of being child molesters.

Allow people to express their genuine sexuality in normal ways, and it doesn't come out in abnormal ways directed at the vulnerable and dependent people.

B.J. wrote: View Post
lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
Ah, but that's Darwin, and they don't believe in him either.
It's kinda obvious you're not Catholic (I am), and this statement right here proves it. I'm assuming you're referring to the theory of evolution when you invoke Darwin here, and I can tell you that Catholics do believe in evolution. They even teach it in my kids' Catholic school.
Indeed I am not Catholic, or religious in any way. In fact, I would pretty much say I have been driven to seething hatred and resentment of organised religion in all its forms thanks to the Church's constant attempts to portray my kind of people as subhuman scum who do not deserve life, liberty, safety or equality.

But why then do I hear about so many stories about American Republican politicians trying to force creationism into schools? Why do the majority of Republicans doubt evolution is real? Maybe those aren't Catholics, I don't know.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!

Last edited by lvsxy808; February 11 2013 at 06:03 PM.
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote