View Single Post
Old February 11 2013, 05:22 PM   #6
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: Downton Abbey - Am I Missing Something?

Frontier wrote: View Post
OK, so... I freely admit I've seen 25 minutes worth of one episode. So, I very well could be missing a great deal. But that's my reason for asking so. So please don't eye-roll and flame me if I am, alright? Thanks!

But... from that cursory exposure... I find what little I observed, I didn't like. It seems to me a show about one of the wrongs of our past: the class system. A wrong that still exists today, but that we've made great ambitious strides towards pushing as far out of our culture as we can,

Am I wrong? Is it really a show about how all the servants save the day and educate the rich upper crust of the evils of a class system? Or something otherwise redeeming?

What's the attraction of this show?
It's well-made, has lots of good period detail and an ensemble of fine performers playing nicely developed characters. It has a lot of dialogue that bears attending to, there's not much action and what conflict there is is often understated. It's not for everyone.

The servants are not always good examples; they can be as judgmental and hierarchical as the aristocrats, or more so.

IMO the show has gone down a notch each season; the third season has been outright silly at times, although there was one major dramatic development that made up for some of it. I still enjoy the show, mostly for the character dynamics and performances.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote