View Single Post
Old February 11 2013, 03:34 AM   #84
Cake
Lieutenant

Re: Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

I think there were only two leads in the last movie and that were Kirk and Spock. McCoy and Uhura were on the same level behind them. We will see, how it is in the next movie. As I really like McCoy, I hope his role isn't getting smaller.

I don't mind it in itself, that Uhura got more screentime, just how it was used. It just feels so cliche, that the only significant female character spent a large amount of her screentime being the love interest of the two main male characters.

And there were only three other halfway memorable female characters in the movie, Winona, Amanda and Gaila. Winona and Amanda were defined solely as wives and mothers before they were killed off. And Gaila was mainly seen in bed with Kirk and later she probably died off screen.

If there would have been other female characters, who don't spend a large degree or all of their screentime being the girlfriend/wife/mother of a male character, then a few female characters with traditional female roles wouldn't have been a problem for me.

Maybe there will be female characters in the next movie, who don't sleep with Kirk or Spock or are related to one of them, which would be an improvement.

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
Hopefully in the next movie, we won't see the XO and the Comm officer making out in front of the Captain while he taps his foot and whistles waiting for them to get their tongues out of each others mouth
teacake wrote: View Post
And now in the next movie they will be snogging all over the damn ship!!!

Last edited by Cake; February 11 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Cake is offline   Reply With Quote