View Single Post
Old February 11 2013, 12:46 AM   #3179
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

intrinsical wrote: View Post
Dale Sams wrote: View Post
So the only way to get Omega marks is to do "team-up" missions? Is that correct?

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
No. You can gather Omega Marks on Defera solo, just not as fast.
Just be aware that "not quite as fast" is an understatement.

Once you get good at group-based STF missions, you can easily earn close to 300 Omega Marks, 3000 Dilithium and a nice handful of change in under an hour's time. To earn the same amount on Defera would probably take a full week's worth of effort.

Having said that, STFs can be challenging and difficult and at times frustrating to less experienced players. There are players who will shout at you if you don't know what to do. For someone starting to play STFs for the first time, I suggest first playing STFs with your guild or any friends you have. Have them show you what to do, what not to do. Above all else, do not join public (random) STF groups as you usually get a bunch of inexperienced players who won't know what to do, resulting in failure.
There's also the option of Normal STF's, which are not nearly as difficult, and the random groups generally can succeed, and even get the bonuses a lot of the time (though the bonus is what, four marks?). The rewards aren't nearly as good as Elite, but they are still faster than Defera, and you don't even have to talk to your team; as long as you have a clue as to what to do, you can almost always salvage a round with a horrible group by yourself.