View Single Post
Old February 10 2013, 10:08 PM   #85
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Geordi's Authority

Vanyel wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Vanyel wrote: View Post
I may have missed this somewhere before, but wasn't Jadzia the CO of the Defiant while Sisko was Admiral Ross' adjutant? And wasn't she still in her blue uniform?
That was a temporary command, not a permanent one. We've seen non-command division officers take over a ship for a limited duration before like Data did with the Sutherland and Crusher with the Enterprise-D.
I thought it was a permanent change since Sisko became the Admiral's Adjutant. As Adjutant he wasn't going to be off laying traps for the Jem'Hadar like Jadzia and Worf did. I would say that he was given back command of the Defiant to lead the assault to retake DS9. So while it may have looked temporary, the ship was Jadzia's until it was time for Sisko to retake DS9 and get his old command back.
I think even with Sisko's departure, Jadzia's command was temporary. We've saw Worf in temporary command of the Defiant at the Battle of Sector 001.
I'll grant you that my interpretation would be stronger if Jadzia switched to a red uniform.
Not only that, but Jadzia would likely have been promoted to the actual rank of captain if it was permanent. Depending on what scale of the ship you adhere to, the Defiant was comparable to the USS Equinox, and she rated a full captain in red.
And she does look good in red if Trials and Tribbile-ations is anything to go by.

One last thing, if one need not be a Captain to captain a starship; then it is possible one need not be in red to captain one either. But Jadzia could have been a special case, with 7 hosts worth of experience and the former CO her closest friend, her name plaque for the Captains office could have been sitting in Sisko's room on the Defiant since it came to DS9.
I think by the time of TNG, red is the color of starship/starbase captains (but engineering captains could wear gold and science captains could wear blue, etc.). I believe it was just a case that Jadzia was one of several officers in command of the Defiant during its time with the Second Fleet. Earlier, Worf may have been in command of the ship for awhile.