View Single Post
Old February 10 2013, 08:03 PM   #47
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise M

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Assuming the petition gets sufficient traction then I think it would be a great idea to open the funding to donations. Even if it's only $5, $10 or $20 from an individual it could really add up. And if some significant names (Shatner and Nimoy aren't bad suggestions) even made a token donation along with someone like Nichelle Nichols or anyone else connected to the franchise (even from behind the scenes) it could give the petition some visibility beyond just fans.

I'm not American and I don't live in the U.S. but I'd kick in some money for it.
1. Forgive if this is a repeat, but I did tweet Mssrs. Shatner, Nimoy, Takei, Okuda, Rod Roddenberry, Spiner, and Levar Burton. That's whose handles I knew. And a couple Trek feeds. And the CQ at Starfleet.

2. Re. Christopher's comments - yeah, we only have photos of the original; but we have, I think, comments from eyewitnesses, who described the lines as light and in pencil, including Matt Jeffries, iirc. We have the top of the saucer too, though those lines may have faded over time. It is pretty clear from what I've read that the lines were much lighter in person than they are now. And perhaps nonexistent on the secondary and nacelles.

3. If you restore it as an artifact, you'd bring the item back to what it looked like in real life, not as it appeared on TV, right? Hence my wording in the petition, "we now ask that this important artifact be restored as closely as possible to its original state." Still open to interpretation I suppose.

4. Please note I tried to be respectful to Mr. Maerlecki in the wording. Things have been cool here, but I understand he's been ripped a new one sometimes.