View Single Post
Old February 10 2013, 05:17 PM   #42
Warped9
Admiral

Re: White House Petition to Restore/Preserve and Move the Enterprise M

Christopher wrote: View Post
Based on the information I've been given, I suspect that the original miniature was somewhat more detailed than it appeared in photos, but less detailed than the Miarecki restoration. But that's just a supposition. I don't know for sure.
And that's why we need those who have actually researched the subject in depth.

Christopher wrote: View Post
So what we need is to move beyond supposition to something more useful. Ideally, this is something that should be tested by experiment. Somebody should make replicas representing various levels of surface detail, photograph them under conditions matching those under which the existing pre-1974 photographs were taken (same lighting, same camera equipment, same film stock and exposure), and see which version most closely matches the available photography. That would help take the guesswork out of it, or at least minimize it. Arguing doesn't resolve anything; experimentation could. There are a number of amateur and pro modelmakers out there who could be recruited to conduct such an experiment. (Or we could suggest it on the Mythbusters fan site. They've done Star Trek myths before.)
I can't argue with that.