View Single Post
Old February 10 2013, 01:10 AM   #26
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Canceled Shows: If they were popular from the start

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
"The slightly shady crew of a ramshackle spaceship try to keep flying, while staying one step ahead of the law . . . ."

Trust me, just about any plot can be boiled down to three paragraphs (or less) of back cover copy!
I suppose. The issue, IMO, isn't so much whether such a synopsis is possible. The issue is whether a show can be easily boiled down to one idea by a common viewer in a way that he can tell outsiders what the show is. Buffy & The Avengers both had an advantage in that they were part of familiar genres. You don't have to say much before people start understanding what you're talking about because it evokes ideas of things they've seen before.

BTW, Mr. Cox, you can summarize Firefly. But can you distill Dollhouse?
Firefly: Okay, how about: "It's a space western about this Han Solo-type character and his crew."

Dollhouse: To be honest, I've only seen a handful of Dollhouse eps, but let me give it a shot.

"A dark, sexy, and provocative scifi series about a woman employed by a mysterious company that programs her with a new personality and memories every week. Echo can be anyone the client wants--but who is she, really?"

Or, more casually: "It's this sexy, kind of disturbing scifi series about a woman who gets a different personality and identity every week. Weird, huh?"

Or: "Think Le Femme Nikita--but with a scifi twist."

Last edited by Greg Cox; February 10 2013 at 01:30 AM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote