Old February 9 2013, 09:02 PM   #14
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: "10 Reasons Deep Space Nine Was Cruelly Misjudged"

BillJ wrote: View Post
DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Nana Visitor is freaking brilliant.
Brilliance is in the eye of the beholder. For me, she came off as the whiniest freedom fighter ever.
This reminds me of this old list posted by penknife on Livejournal (take a note of point 5):

Every show I mentioned has its own set of critics. All you have to do is poke around this board to see that. Are you saying that DS9 should somehow be above various criticisms that get leveled at every TV show since the dawn of the industry?
The article obviously isn't about the valid criticisms, but about the prejudgements and prejudices by people who haven't even watched much, if any, of the show.

Popularity of arc storytelling isn't just now becoming popular, been popular for quite a while. When people were interested, they followed arc-based shows religiously. Hell, I made it home everyday at 4pm in the mid-70's just so I wouldn't miss an episode of Star Blazers. And if DS9 had been flourishing on DVD and on Netflix, we wouldn't have all this hand wringing over whether or not it is going to get an HD facelift. That popularity would've made the decision a no-brainer for CBS.
Actually, the networks were scared of arc storytelling supposedly turning off new viewers even in the 2000s, as I've already pointed out.

The people who follow any show religiously are always a minority, however big or small it may be. These are the "fans", people who love the show and are obsessed with it. They are enough to make a show a cult hit and keep it on the air for some time, sometimes long enough for it to have 7 seasons. Pretty much all of Star Trek shows fall into that category, with the exception of TNG, which was the only one to really attract a lot of casual viewers. But it's attracting the casual viewers that's the deciding factor in getting big ratings. And casual viewers tend to prefer episodic TV, especially if they don't have Netflix, downloads etc. This is the difference between a cult show like Firefly and a hit show like CSI.

RandyS wrote: View Post
Not only that, but for some reason, she repeatedly, erroneously, referred to herself as a terrorist, which I never understood. The Cardassians were the terrorists, not the Bajorans.
You really have no idea what a terrorist is, do you?

One of the things I love about DS9 is that they never sugarcoated it and called Kira a "freedom fighter" but told it as it is, even though she was a heroine and the Bajoran Resistance was portrayed sympathetically.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch

Last edited by DevilEyes; February 9 2013 at 09:14 PM.
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote