View Single Post
Old February 9 2013, 06:35 PM   #67
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: 12th Doctor Announcement Coming In October?

Atticus wrote: View Post
The difficulty with this theory is that Moffat isn't writing Season 8 alone. If he wasn't going to be ready at the start of the block, they could put in another's, ala the Snowmen. It's probably something else...
Jon Blum said the same thing at Gallifrey Base.

The objection I have to that objection is that Moffat isn't just the writer, he's also the executive producer and he would have pre-, mid-, and post-production responsibilities. If they were going to film Who in May, then he'd be looking at this kind of schedule...

In February he would be looking at post-production on Who and pre-production on Sherlock. In March he would be looking at post-production on Who 7b, production on Sherlock 8, and pre-production on Who Anniv/8. In April he would be looking at pre-production on Who series 8, production on Who 8 and Sherlock 3, and post-production on Who 7b. In May he would be looking at production production on Who 8 and Sherlock 3, and post-production on Who 7b/Anniv/8 and Sherlock 3. For June, repeat May.

Even if he could push all of his writing off to the last production blocks, he still has hands-on production responsibilities at and before the start.

I do agree with the point Diankra danced around -- if there was to be Who filming in May and now there's clearly not, then why aren't Moffat and Skinner being shown the door?

The other possibility that occurs to me is that Moffat never intended for series 8 filming before series 7b finishes airing because the location filming would be spoilerific, such as Jenna-Louise Coleman leaving the series. (And Moffat could cover that spoiler by doing pick-up shots for a 7b episode on location for one day during the anniversary special filming.)

So either there was supposed to be filming in May and now there's not or there was never supposed to be filming in May.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote