View Single Post
Old February 9 2013, 05:16 AM   #726
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Gaith wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
I know that. In quotes Millar seemed to be talking about the DC characters not translating well to live action because of things like the GL powers, and the wings on The Flashs' mask, and so I was just pointing out that Marvel has found a way to translate things just as crazy (Rocket and Groot).
Ah, but remember the shooting gallery scene from Men in Black. A talking raccoon shooting a laser gun? He's just an alien gunslinger doing his job; nothing unusual there. But a human using a magic ring to conjure up green force-field weapons here on Earth, and wearing a mask that in no way obscures his face? Or an Amazonian warrior from an Ancient Greece-era culture wearing another nation's flag symbols because a pilot from there visited her accidentally? Now there's deviance for ya. Yep, you read that right: I'm calling the Justice League weirder than the Guardians of the Galaxy.
I disagree. Marvel live action characters deviate from the comic book counterparts just enough to make them seem believable in the real world. Mainly, they are just de-powered, but the actors play them as real people. Similar to...Nolan's Batman. Other DC movies fall into the vein of Daredevil--camp--and not good camp. Play Wonder Woman like Hugh Jackman plays Wolverine, or Green Lantern the way that Downey plays Iron Man and it will work.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote