View Single Post
Old February 8 2013, 01:01 PM   #1757
Fer
Commander

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Sure but the original question stands. Off all the races Vulcans have encountered, humans seem to be able to push the right buttons to get an emotional response.
Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens's superb Soval-Forrest scene in "The Forge" may shed some light on that:

SOVAL: We don't know what to do about humans. Of all the species we've made contact with, yours is the only one we can't define. You have the arrogance of Andorians, the stubborn pride of Tellarites. One moment, you're as driven by your emotions as Klingons, and the next, you confound us by suddenly embracing logic.
FORREST: I'm sure those qualities are found in every species.
SOVAL: Not in such confusing abundance.
FORREST: Ambassador. Are Vulcans afraid of humans? Why?
SOVAL: Because there is one species you remind us of.
FORREST: Vulcans.
That is actually perfect and the closest thing we will probably get to an answer on that question. I should have known to go back to Enterprise for this.
I absolutely loved that scene. That was the moment when Enterprise totally turned around as a show for me. (What's the reverse of jumping the shark? )

...And just to keep my post from getting waaaay off topic:

I'm about a third of the way through Star Wars now, and hoping that my library will be able to fill my request for Star Wars: Scoundrels in time for me to jump in to that when I finish it. If they don't, I'm planning on reading some S.C.E. while I'm waiting, starting with Enigma Ship (in the Book Six: Wildfire collection).