View Single Post
Old February 8 2013, 12:23 AM   #409
tighr
Commodore

Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Mother isn't exactly tied to a specific period of time, i.e. it's just a modern age sitcom and it wouldn't be much of a hassle to set a show about 10 years ago to keep it in continuity with the original show,
Actually, it is. The narration is taking place in the year 2030. Each episode (when it airs) takes place in the contemporary; i.e., the Halloween episode last year takes place chronologically on Halloween in the year 2012. The year is referenced numerous times, for example in a recent episode Ted says "Kids, in the Winter of 2013"...

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
It could make sometimes references to events in the original show and maybe even show us legen.. wait for it.. dary scenes that happened in Mother from a different angle telling us that the Mother was many times so close but Ted wasn't yet ready.
I could see this working next season if they change things up and continue to tell Ted's story after he met the Mother, and then have the Mother tell flashbacks to times they almost crossed paths (using the show's convention of flashbacks within flashbacks, since the entire show is technically a "flashback".) But not for a whole new series.