View Single Post
Old February 7 2013, 08:28 AM   #10
oswater
Ensign

Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
I thought that was pretty damn funny. As for the "cure gayness" joke... lets face it... how often did we ever see gay people (from Earth) represented on TNG? The fact that a gay person wrote that joke in the early 90s doesn't surprise me in the least. Sure, some of the humor in this video might seem dated now, but that is what makes it so much fun to me.

The only thing that I felt was missing in this video was music during the acting scenes. I think adding some cheesey music to the film would add to the humor. All in all though, this was an enjoyable little film. Strange as hell, but enjoyable
Thank you for watching, and I completely agree. More music would really fill out the atmosphere.
boobatuba wrote: View Post
oswater wrote: View Post
Oh and that 'curing gayness' joke was written by a gay man.
So honestly, I think you don't even know what you're offended about.
Wow. So if a homosexual says it, it can't possibly be offensive? Just...wow.
The argument wasn't that a gay man has magic anti-offensive armor on, it was that it portrayed gay stereotypes. A gay stereotype needs to come from a place of ignorance, which is was not.
A note about vaudeville...it was popular in the first 1/3 of the 20th century. It was INCREDIBLY offensive to minorities, and that was the point. So, I don't understand why you would be surprised that people are offended if you claim to write in a "vaudevillian style."
So were films, music, stage and popular culture in the early 20th century. Modern vaudeville is not. It was adopted by people like Conan O'Brien and John Waters to celebrate things like strangeness and outlandish behavior. So your point is completely moot.
My problem with the video is that I just don't think the jokes are very funny. I don't find talking about "white girl pussy" terribly clever. I find it very juvenile with a sort of "tee-hee" flavor. Not my cup of tea, but also just my opinion.
Completely fair. Glad you watched it.

Just because the something wasn't intended to be offensive doesn't mean that it can't be seen as offensive.
And sometimes a tool is also a weapon. Again, didn't mean to offend. But if you laugh, then have a great a time. If you don't, maybe next time I'll make something more up your alley.
oswater is offline   Reply With Quote