View Single Post
Old February 7 2013, 07:27 AM   #102
bfollowell
Commander

Re: TOS: Allegiance in Exile by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

OK, I guess I'm quibbling, and I certainly don't want to say anything that seems even remotely negative about Mr. George's wonderful writing as I've loved all of his ST novels to date. But...

...I just have one discontinuity/error. OK, when the research crews were down on Ağdam, one pilot or security officer stayed with each shuttlecraft and they were all killed during the missile attacks. At several points, the four are mentioned.

In chapter 4:
"at least four of our people are unaccounted for."
and
"and now four missing down on the planet."

In chapter 5:
"When the landing parties had returned to the ship, the captain had learned that four of the crew had been killed, each of them dying as the result of a missile strike on an Enterprise shuttlecraft."

Then, also in chapter 5 we see:
"But Kirk also wanted more than that. Seven of my crew were killed, he thought angrily. He did not wish to let that harsh fact stand without explanation."
and
"Kirk didn’t know, but he resolved to find out as much as he could about what had resulted in the loss of the city—and in the loss of seven of his crew."

OK, which is it; four or seven? I'm not too much further than chapter 5 and I keep wondering if we're going to find out who the other three dead crewmen are. Can I assume this is a mistake and let it go or will I find out later who the other three dead are?

Other than stressing over this silly little point, I'm thoroughly enjoying Mr. George's latest addition to TrekLit.

Thanks,
- Byron