View Single Post
Old February 7 2013, 07:14 AM   #2146
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'll be disappointed if we don't get an Alice Eve figure. I would expect an Uhura figure as well since it would seem she has a huge role in the film. I don't see why we wouldn't get the entire cast.
Part of it may have to do with what happened to the Star Trek XI toyline. Retailers got burned with a lot of figures that didn't sell--some Toys R Us stores are still trying to get rid of them nearly four years later--and that may make retailers skittish about ordering another large Trek toyline, but more receptive towards a line with fewer figures (especially if they're just the main characters they think will sell really well).

But what really makes an entire cast of figures questionable, IMO, is what was said in Hasbro's actual press announcement about initially acquiring the Star Trek license in which they concentrated mainly on it as a Kre-O line, but did add in passing that some "select" new figures will be made.
http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=311&itemid=18270
courtesy of Toy News International:
Leading the product offering from Hasbro will be a line of premium KRE-O STAR TREK building sets featuring fantastical spaceships and legendary characters from the franchise. The KRE-O STAR TREK sets will offer high-quality KRE-O bricks as well as new KREON figures in the likeness of popular characters. Among its additional new play experiences, Hasbro will also offer robust line of roleplay toys for kids and fans to act out the intergalactic saga as well as select new figures.
I just wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro takes a very conservative approach with a Star Trek XII toyline to appease both retailers and to avoid what happened with Playmates.