View Single Post
Old February 7 2013, 05:35 AM   #119
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: More Star Wars films announced

hbquikcomjamesl wrote: View Post
Racer_X wrote: View Post
References to 12 movies show up in "Bantha Tracks", the official Star Wars Fan Club newsletter. In #3 (July 1978), there's a statement that says "The sequel [TESB] will be based directly on the second of twelve stories George Lucas wrote in the Adventures of Luke Skywalker". Then in #8 (Spring 1980), in an interview with Lucas, the interviewer states "At one point there were going to be twelve Star Wars films", to which Lucas replied "I cut that number down to nine because the other three were tangential to the saga." These are the obvious references to 12 or 9 films that I am aware of, but there may be others out there in that time frame.

Thank you for confirming that I didn't imagine it.

Regarding the prologue from ADF's novelization of ANH:

. . . Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people, and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.

Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.

Having exterminated through treachery and deception the Jedi Knights, guardians of justice in the galaxy, the Imperial governors and bureaucrats prepared to institute a reign of terror among the disheartened worlds of the galaxy. Many used the Imperial forces and the name of the increasingly isolated Emperor to further their own personal ambitions.
. . . From the First Saga, Journal of the Whills

-- STAR WARS: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker, New York: Ballantine, 1977; Hardbound Ballantine Books Edition: October 1977. First Edition: December 1976. Page 1.
No reference to any other Emperors.
Dammit, now you're making me want to dig out my original "soon to be a major motion picture" paperback edition.