View Single Post
Old February 7 2013, 03:11 AM   #32
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: NBC's 'Do No Harm' = Biggest Flop in Network TV History!

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
NBC is probably in a bind. Their young, urban, coastal audience has defected to cable (or Netflix/hulu/Amazon). They need to get them back, but they have to do it with shows that stand out in a crowd, like Revolution managed to do.
To the extent that NBC has an identity, I think its identity is sitcoms that appeal to a smarter audience than the bland crap that CBS provides. But even that identity is in peril now because 30 Rock & The Office are ending this season and Community will likely get cancelled after they burn off the remaining episodes this spring.

jayceee wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
but what kind of show is an NBC show (and no the correct answer should not be "a total failure.")
Over most of the 2000's, I thought NBC was the Law & Order network.
I really miss the original Law & Order. Cancelling a legend like that in favor of an untested Los Angeles spin-off was just dumb.

Christopher wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Cable shows reruns of their shows at 11 and 12 at night, networks can't do that.
They could, they just don't. I think the reason cable networks rebroadcast their prime-time shows a few hours later is because they only provide one feed to all four time zones, so what's prime time in the Eastern time zone is too early for prime time in Mountain or Pacific. An 8 PM show on the East Coast would be airing at 5 PM on the West, and people are still driving home from work then. So there are two broadcasts to hit prime time for the two halves of the country, basically. The main broadcast networks don't have to do it that way since they have separate feeds for the different time zones.
Cable networks (and PBS) repeat their stuff all the time. Part of this is because they don't have to worry so much about local affiliate content. I wish I had cable if only because cable channels show actual TV shows during the daytime instead of innundating us with godawful talk shows & judge shows. (There's a woman at work that's always putting the TV in the break room onto The Wendy Williams Show. It's the most useless piece of garbage I've ever seen. She even did this once right in the middle of an episode of Law & Order: SVU that I was watching!)