View Single Post
Old February 7 2013, 02:51 AM   #1007
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Perhaps, but I always got the impression that he was being written as the archetypical out-of-touch old man set in his outdated ways in a charming kind of way, whereas Chase was portraying him as a racist asshat. You know, more like characters such as Grandpa on the Simpsons, just not quite as senile.

The former was certainly the case early on, and even explored by showing where it all came from via his father. Chase just had the... charisma?... to make him into a despicable, loathsome jackass and I guess the writer's obliged to some degree.

I'm particularly convinced this theory is true simply because of how many times Chase has claimed that he just didn't get the show, the humor, or the character.
When I listened to Chevy Chase on the commentary tracks, he kinda sounds like the out of touch old guy in real life too. He seems to have absolutely no idea what a commentary track is or why they're doing it.