View Single Post
Old February 6 2013, 09:22 PM   #42
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Re: Would you prefer a 4 day week?

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
Is this typical for the whole branch or would your company's competitors offer better working conditions?
I think it's pretty typical of a lot of industries and offices these days. I am paid hourly, so anything over 40 hours a week would be overtime payments, so my shifts are pretty strictly 40 hours. But since our staffing has been cut so heavily (as in many places all over the country), the salaried folks in our office are expected to pick up the slack (since the same work has to get done regardless of how many employees we have), so they end up having to come in on weekends or stay late in the evenings, or interrupt vacations to get their expected job done. But, they get paid a lot more than I do, so it's a blessing and a curse.

In fact, even for some hourly workers, they just have too much on their plate and stay late to finish up their tasks even though they don't record that time and won't be paid for it, because their supervisors expect it to be done. I have an awesome boss that wouldn't expect such craziness from me.
T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote