View Single Post
Old February 6 2013, 04:37 PM   #87
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Saturn0660 wrote: View Post
I guess my problem is it seems so much harder to build the ships. With the demo you just slapped it together and it was fine. I find myself having a hard time just getting into orbit. I don't know if i'm going with to big a ship and trying to hard. I did download Mechjeb. It's easier using that.

I did manage to get Station Core that comes with the saves already in it. I't out of fuel and I just can't seem to get to it again. Even with a ship I made that gets into orbit fine. <-with extra fuel no less.
Two things come to mind:
  1. Are you using asparagus staging? It's the most fuel-efficient method of getting into orbit as you are dropping empty fuel tanks as they run out.
  2. You may be travelling too fast after lifting-off. If you travel too fast in the thickest part of the atmosphere then you lose a lot of fuel in fighting against friction. You'll want to quickly get up to around 100m/s after lift-off, then slowly increase the speed after that so that you're travelling at 250m/s when you reach an elevation of 10,000m. It takes some getting used to, but it does save fuel.
As for intercepting other ships in orbit and docking with them, that's very tricky. Either watch Scott Manley's tutorial and practice, or let mechjeb do it for you.