View Single Post
Old February 5 2013, 10:27 PM   #163
The Baby Stig
Rear Admiral

Re: I hope for more traditional space battles

DalekJim wrote: View Post
The Stig wrote: View Post
I guess it all depends on whether or not you want an action sequence to be immersive and immediate or objective and detached. Do you want to be caught up in the terror facing a small survey ship faced with impossible odds or do you want to be impressed by the tactical maneuvers of the attacking ship? I much prefer something that draws me in to the situation and makes me feel like I'm there, in the moment.
I don't have to be spoonfed and can be engaged with something shown from an objective point of view.
You keep using 'spoonfed.' I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Why is a kinetic action sequence that draws the viewer into the situation 'spoonfeeding?' Was Spielberg spoon-feeding the viewers of 'Saving Private Ryan?' Were the Bourne movies? Or the cinema-verite reboot of BSG ten years ago. (I can't believe it was 10 years ago, but that's another story.) Even something as classic as Midway used gun camera footage and archival materials to give the movie a feeling of authenticity and immediacy.

But hey, I'm not the one with the PhD. So what do I know?

Edit: sniped by Ovation on the Saving Private Ryan reference. Blast!

All we know is, he's The Baby Stig.
The Baby Stig is offline   Reply With Quote